The Top Urban Planning Articles of 2015
As I did last year, I went through several of my favorite sites and curated what I consider to be the best writing on urban issues from 2015. One thing I love about planning, and that drew me to the profession in the first place, is that it encompasses many skills and areas of interest. I think that diversity is reflected in this year’s list. Caveat emptor: I use the term planning loosely. Some of these are more inspirational than germane.
- What’s the Matter With San Francisco?
- The real reason American public transportation is such a disaster
- Decaying City Just Wants To Skip To Part Where It Gets Revitalized Restaurant Scene
- The Time Republicans Helped Build an All-Black Town Called ‘Soul City’
- The Generic City: Boring landscapes impede on our biological need for intrigue
- The Real Mayors of ‘SimCity’
- A history of cities in 50 buildings
- Pope Francis Preaches Urban Planning
- Does Urban Planning Have a Race Problem?
- 10 years later, did the Big Dig deliver?
Runner Up: This is not an article in the traditional sense, but is a clear and insightful series of tips on transportation planning made for players of the popular game “Cities: Skylines.”